Wednesday, August 29, 2012

CRAZY KOREA

Annyeoung Haseyo!! After over a year and a half in the making, I'm finally in Korea!! I think everything happens for a reason so I don't regret my decision to postpone working with the EPIK program. My paperwork was on a bit of a delay when I had applied for the August 2011 intake. I had applied for the background check somewhat late in the game, which was partially due to applying for the whole program later than anticipated and even having a few second thoughts on the whole process. By the time I got the results, all positions for the program were filled. I was given a couple options as to what my next step could be, including working in a hagwon, which is a private school that doesn't have the greatest working conditions, or be put on a waiting list. With the waiting list, I could be told on as little as a 24-hour notice. I tend to think I'm a fairly spontaneous person, but I just couldn't wrap my head around preparing on such short notice for something so life changing. It was then that I decided to postpone my EPIK adventure until the next intake in February of 2012. When I made the phone call to Jinny, my program coordinator, I was a little sad that I wouldn't be in the same intake as my fellow MSUer Rachel Bardon. I was also a little relieved, to be honest, that I would have more time to get my act together to move out of the country. However, I was soon called by Prairie Creek Community School asking if I could be a long-term sub through October. I got the amazing opportunity to be the Teacher Assistant in the 2/3 level that previous spring and LOVED it, so I was very very happy to come back. Through a series of interviews, that position led into a full time, full year position as a special education para-professional. It was a wonderful, immensely enjoyable year. It was also enjoyable in part to the fabulous time I had with my roommate Theresa. When the time came to re-apply for EPIK, I knew it was truly what I wanted to do. I would have loved to stay at PCCS another year, but I knew that if I delayed the decision longer I might not go through with it at all. The re-application process went a lot smoother this time around, and by the beginning of July, I had my contract!! I was heading to Ulsan!! It didn't hit me that I was moving halfway around the globe to teach. I still don't think it has, even while I'm sitting here in my English library at school while the kids say "hello!" to me as they walk by. The last month at home was a blur. Lots of packing, moving out of my apartment, condensing everything I own into 2 suitcases, and saying the "see you later"s. It's been a crazy journey thus far just being able to have the airline tickets and passport in hand, ready to board the plane. I know it's going to get even more crazy. I'm hoping for crazy good. :)

I've been here for about a week and a half now. A lot's happened. In lieu of writing a novel on everything that's gone down, I'll give ya the highlights.

Thursday/Friday:
THE BIG DAY! I was brought to the airport before the sun had even come up yet. Super early. Met Naomi at the airport and said some pretty sad goodbyes to my family at the security gate. I was very thankful to be traveling with someone and not have to go through the process alone. Flew from MSP to Phoenix to San Fran. Then finally to Incheon! In Phoenix, we quenched our nervous thirst with a few beers and bloody marys. It was well needed. Met up with fellow EPIKer Liz in San Fran. Ate a last meal (quesadillas and more American beer) then boarded the plane to Incheon. My friend Sarah was the last person I talked to on the phone. She sang us song, in true Sarah Cook fashion, which made me feel better about getting on the plane that would take me very far away from the life I had come to know. The flight sucked. I thought a window seat would have been gold, but getting out to stretch, use the bathroom, regain my sanity, was difficult when you have to climb over 2 people passed out. Landed in Incheon safely! The 3 of us took the airport subway to Hongik station, which is the closest stop to the hostel where we stayed for our short Seoul trip. Almost fell asleep on the train, and sequentially almost missing our stop, plus had to drag 100+ pounds of luggage through the busy Hongdae streets. On a Friday night. Did I mention it was a sauna outside? Made it in due time to our hostel. Naomi and I bunked with 4 rad dudes, though they were busy partay-ing it up in Hongdae. We grabbed ramen and soju from the convenience store, got our first of many Gangnam Style video glimpses, and caught up to reality. We were going to wait for our bunk-mates, but we crashed. No sleeping on the plane will do that to ya.

Saturday:
First full day in Korea. Met everyone staying at the hostel with us, 90% of them EPIKers as well. Liz, Naomi, and I joined the group for Seoul adventuring. We took the subway to the "square" area of Seoul where all the happenin stuff goes down. Ventured around the Cheonggyecheon stream (thank you spell check), had lunch at Coffine (best Engrish use yet), then did the temples. Also witnessed a Gangnam Style flash mob. We split up, half going to the hostel, the other half to scope out cheap Korean electronics. Once I get my first paycheck, I'll be doing the same. Met more EPIKers at the hostel, then headed out for Korean BBQ! Found an awesome place with fantastic food in Hongdae. Saw Simon and Martina of Eat Your Kimchi while walking back to the hostel!! Should have gotten a picture with them. We all grabbed drinks at the convenience store and hung out as a group at the hostel. It was great meeting and chatting with everyone there. For many, it was the last night in Seoul before heading to orientation. We made it count.

Sunday:
I was lucky to be in Team 2, meaning an extra full day in Seoul. Tina, Dylan, and I were all part of the second orientation and the last ones left at the hostel, so we did some venturing around Hongdae that afternoon. Had an awesome ramen lunch, lots of touristy pictures, then back to the hostel to meet up with more EPIKers for dinner. A huge group of us that was still left over went to a place with "normal" food, then decided to hit the town. Found a decent bar in Hongdae and camped there for awhile with their 14 dollar, makeshift Irish car bomb drinks. Because the night was young, we headed to a bumpin club. 10 bucks to get in, free drink included. TOTALLY WORTH IT. Korean nightlife is insane. Loud music, awesome lighting, packed shoulder-to-shoulder dancing. Koreans know how to party, considering a lot of bars don't close until 9:30 AM. Got back to the hostel around 4, and hung out until about 6. Made my last night count, too.

Monday:
All of us left at Mint headed to the Incheon airport to be picked up for orientation. Taxis were a fabulous idea. Got my first taste of fresh kiwi juice at the airport (yum!!), and boarded the buses that would take us to our orientation in Daejeon. Once at orientation, I met my roomie for the week, Mary, who was so much fun to room with. Didn't do much that evening. Settled in, found my way around, called it a night early.

Tuesday:
First full day of orientation! We had a tour of campus and an opening ceremony, which included a phenomenal orchestra and a great welcoming lecture to Korea. We met in our classes that afternoon (Class 5!!), to discuss what the week would look like. That evening, I met up with a group to grab a few drinks. There were probably 30 of us huddled in this tiny bar/restaurant. It was great to get to know everyone.

Wednesday/Thursday:
These days had basically the same layout. Medical check to start the morning on Wednesday (hooray for peeing in a cup!), then lots of incredible, informative lectures. I survived on the Dutch coffee from the tiny coffee shop in the lecture building. And got my daily dose of Gangnam Style. I'm not kidding when I say it plays EVERYWHERE. We also started Korean lessons, with our wonderful head teacher Michelle. Our curfew was 10 PM, which doesn't allow much time to explore after classes, so those nights became Big Bang Theory marathon nights.

Friday:
We had a field trip, which everyone was looking forward to. It rained. All day. Monsoon rain. We still trekked through a museum, a little village where we were treated to bibimbap and a great musical performance, visited a tomb, and painted pottery. I was very anxious for them to be done, however, cause I was finally going to meet up with Rachel for dinner!! I hadn't seen her in a year, so it was so wonderful to finally get to hug her and talk to her in person rather than on Facebook chat when she should have been working ;) We merged with a big group, had Korean BBQ which was AMAZING yet again, then hit up Daejeon downtown. Awesome, awesome night. I may have regretted it in the morning.

Saturday/Sunday:
We had our last lectures over the weekend. We were also given time to work on our lesson demonstration for Monday's presentations. My group was assigned a 5th grade lesson on descriptions. Fairly straightforward, but when you have to plan a full 40 minute lesson and minimize it to only 15, it becomes complicated. Throw in all the information on student-to-student interactions, effective management strategies, overwhelming and confusing power point tips, and catchy yet horrible songs we were presented with during the lectures, and it becomes a bit more complicated. My group wasn't concerned about it. We wrote up a quick script since we had to teach equally, then ran through it once and called it a night. We were just going to wing it. More Big Bang Theory to finish out the nights.

Monday:
This was the day everyone was waiting for; the day we find out our ACTUAL placements! But first we had to get through a morning and afternoon of presentations. My group was 7th in line out of 9. Wish we could have gone fairly early in the game, but what can ya do. When everything was said and done, I think we did really well. We filled our 15 minutes with fun activities, and our only suggestion from the lecturer was to speak slower (which is what everyone else got too). Then it was the moment of truth. Us 17 Ulsanites gathered to wait for the MOE director to give us information on our co-teachers, schools, and areas we'd be living in. I was one of 3 to not get information. Go figure. I did get the name of my school (Seongan Elementary!) but that was about all I knew. We then had our farewell dinner, which was of course the best cafeteria meal so far, then packed up to head to Ulsan in the morning!! Note: Opening all your space bags is a terrible choice.

Because this is long enough, I'll post the start of my Ulsan adventures in the next one.

Until then, 안녕히 가세요!


1 comment: