Friday, September 7, 2012

First weekend of many in Ulsan

First of all, I realize I'm awful at regularly posting. My apologies. It's already been a whole week, so I'm totally convinced this year will absolutely fly by. I've been staying ungodly busy. Since last Friday, I've only really had about 2 nights of down time after school. Otherwise I'm on constantly on the run. I'm just gonna bullet point this post to spare time... for both my sake and yours :)

Weekend post!

Last Friday:
- It was my first REAL day of school, not having to sit at my desk all day. I did my introduction powerpoint for my 5th grade classes. All 5 classes, thus far in the game, are wonderful. Easily engaged with the material, love participating, super spunky. It was my first taste of co-teaching, as my 5th grade CT (Joy) translated for the students after every slide. I'm hoping there will be less of that when I actually get into teaching. I think our teaching styles are at opposite ends of the spectrum, so it will definitely be a learning experience working with her this year. All in all, it was a good Friday at school! Nothing too out of the ordinary.
- After school, I met up with fellow EPIK expats in Dong-Gu for Mexican food by the beach. I hadn't taken the buses yet at this point, and I didn't want to risk it since Dong-Gu is a good 45 min ride from my neighborhood and I was already running late. So, I took a cab. It was the most terrifying taxi experience ever. Drivers take red lights as suggestions, and go WELL over the speed limit. I made it in one piece. We met at a place called O'Taco right on the ocean. It was a gorgeous night! I was one of the first to arrive, and the few of us there chatted/ranted/caught up on our first experiences in Ulsan over a few drafts of Cass beer. About 11 of the 17 Ulsanites from orientation showed up throughout the night. We migrated to a foreigner bar in the neighborhood and played a few rounds of pool. I was merely a spectator. Then someone had the 'brilliant' plan of heading downtown. Went to a club, and it was a very very late night. Ulsan knows how to party too.

Saturday:
- Slept in, which was well needed. I didn't do much besides laundry and Big Bang Theory. Exciting stuff, I know. I needed adventure, so I decided to take a tour of Seongan-Dong, since it will after all be my home for the next year, if not longer (... sorry family!!). Despite being kind of isolated, Seongan-Dong is a gorgeous area.  It feels very small town like, while still being in a huge city. The view of downtown Ulsan is a plus. I wanted to venture out more, but no luck. Ended up having a Skype date with Daejeon Rachel, so we were both lame in our apartments. Ramen, gossip, and a movie! It was a fun, unexpected date night ;)

Sunday:
- Fairly low key for the most part of the morning/afternoon. The previous occupant/teacher I've taken over for and I have been messaging, and she got me in contact with a few girls in the same area. I met up with one of the girls, Starr, at the bus stop so we could venture into old downtown for dinner. She lives about 2 blocks away from my school and she is an absolute DOLL! We met another friend of hers, Courtney, at the Paris Baguette. I already love these girls. We grabbed dinner at a tofu joint (DELICIOUS food), then aimlessly wandered throughout the shops. Lots of laughs shared over Engrish spellings. Starr has been in Ulsan for about 2 months, and Courtney for about a month. I think we'll have a lot of fun together. Made it back to my place kind of late. Onto lesson planning!

My first full week teaching was an overwhelming, amazing, strange experience. Blog post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment