Sunday, September 23, 2012

Settling into Ulsan life

Ulsan is pretty amazing. I've officially been in Korea for over a month (already?!), and in Ulsan for almost 4 weeks now. I find that I'm settling into life here really well. On top of the friends met at orientation, I've met a bunch of really awesome people while here in Ulsan. School is going great, and I'm starting to get the hang of teaching the Korea way. I was really stressed for about the first 2 weeks of teaching, always coming home after an afternoon of lesson planning, only to lesson plan up until I go to sleep. I now don't take school work home with me and am able to enjoy my free evenings exploring Ulsan. And I've really REALLY enjoyed it. 

A few highlights (and maybe a lowlight) of my life outside of school (cause let's be honest, those are some of the most memorable): 
- I finally mastered the bus system! Ulsan is the only metropolitan city that doesn't have its' own subway system, meaning having to rely on buses to get from point A to point B. Most everywhere I've gone in Ulsan is too far to travel by foot, apart from my neighborhood and school. I've thought about getting a bike, but to get anywhere else in Ulsan other than my neighborhood, I have to go down the huge hill where the sidewalks aren't the greatest. Walking my bike up said hill would be a nightmare. I may be looking into getting a scooter, but I'm still undecided. Drivers can be pretty crazy. The buses aren't as terrible as I thought they would be. I've managed to find my way to CostCo, Home Plus, Ilsan beach, new downtown, and to a few friends' neighborhoods. Haven't gotten lost yet, or on the wrong bus! 
- Had my first CostCo experience!! I've never been to one in the states, so I think it's funny that my first time is in Korea. I have a feeling I will be making many many trips. During our first week of arriving in Ulsan, a bunch of orientation peeps thought about getting memberships and making the trek over there together. Shopping in a group was a wonderful idea, as we were able to split a lot of the stuff we bought. My haul consisted of lunch meat (Hormel brand even!), sliced deli cheese, pasta, peanut butter, grapes (which were cheaper than what I would have paid back home), a few bottles of wine, beer, and COFFEE. I was on a mission to find good, REAL coffee, as whatever I've found in the shops here is instant and loaded with sugar. I was successful! Found a box of Starbucks ground coffee, which had 3, 1 pound bags of ground coffee. The cost was......... 30,000 Won, or just less than 30 US dollars. Ouch. I need my coffee, so I was more than ok paying that much. You go to any coffee shop for a GOOD coffee and you end up paying at least 5,000 Won anyway for a tiny cup. I'll try to make it last, but no promises :) CostCo will also be the place I go to for cheap, REAL pizza. Their food court was worth the 3+ hour trip alone. 
- Old downtown is where it's at. I've made the short 10 min bus ride into Seongnam Dong, or old downtown, the most during my non-school hours. Most of the time I meet up with Starr and/or Courtney for dinner, drinks, or shopping. It's normally a busy, bright, k-pop blaring place. I love it. There was also an outdoor festival held in that area last weekend, so Courtney and I went together. Never have I seen more foreigners in one place. It was a strange feeling. We also hit up the latest Bourne movie (in English!) and a foreigner bar. Again, I've never seen more foreigners in one place. It was also the largest post-orientation get together. It was great seeing so many familiar faces. Seongnam Dong, I love you. 
- I survived my second typhoon!! Our first day in Ulsan was highlighted by Typhoon Bolaven, and 3 weeks later, we were hit with another one, Typhoon Sanba. Last Sunday, we found out school classes were cancelled on Monday due to the impending typhoon. I went into school on Monday, walking through the crazy winds and rain downpour. That was a trip. Had my first true experience of desk warming, as only the teachers were at school. Coffee, a blanket, and Harry Potter were on the agenda. I didn't complain. The weather cleared up by the time I left school. The only casualties of the day were a leaking window at school and my wet socks. 
- I've kept in contact with a lot of the orientation group. I've ventured into Buk-Gu for dinner and drinks with Bex and Dylan, had pizza and coffee on the beach with Olivia, and Indian food in new downtown with Steph, Gema, and Emily. Apart from the group get-togethers on the weekends, it's really really nice getting together during the week. Helps me keep my sanity. It's also nice keeping those connections. It's a fun crew. 
- On a low note, I've already had an injury. Walking home from school one day, I tripped/stepped into a hole in the sidewalk. Great. Got home after hobbling, to find it was swollen about 5 times larger than normal. Spent the night lounging in bed, foot propped up on my pillow with an ice pack. 2 weeks later, it's completely better. Bruising is gone, pain is gone, swollen slightly still thanks to spending all day on my feet. I now have health insurance after getting my alien registration card, but hopefully I'll never have to rely on it. 
- I've had a lot of really amazing, one-of-a-kind experiences with Starr. We ventured to Ilsan beach one day, only to end up sitting at the top of the hill that overlooks the beach with 2 older gentleman, sharing soju and fish. We also found the bamboo forest, which included a workout on the outdoor gym equipment (beer included), as well as chatting with the owners of the small shop on the sidewalk as we held their adorable puppy and got free ice cream. This lady rocks. I'm so lucky she lives so close to me. Lots of adventures to be had :) 

All in all, I'm loving my time in Ulsan. Life is good. Really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment